A Message from our Chief
The City of Batesville, Mississippi is home to almost 8,000 residents. The Batesville Police Department is a team of 44 sworn officers and 10 civilian employees who are dedicated to providing professional service as well as protection to our city. The success of the Batesville Police Department is due to both the strong commitment of our employees and to the support we receive from the entire community. We value the trust placed in us by the people that we serve and we are diligent in our efforts to uphold that trust. We continue to strive to identify new and innovative ways to address crime and quality of life concerns in Batesville.
At Batesville Police Department, we have a vision to always attempt to create a safer community in which to raise our families and thereby promote a brighter future for all. We want to be a positive presence in our city and to all our citizens and especially to our young people. We have to plant some trees in order to someday have some shade, so... if we can be the soil to the planted acorn... the seed of our youth... then hopefully, they will become the mighty oaks of leadership in our community and inspiration to the youth of the future.
The success of the Batesville Police Department is due to both the strong commitment of our employees and to the support we receive from the entire community.
Some of the community outreach services that we enjoy are visiting our schools and having cookies with them, presenting safety awareness programs at ICS Headstart and the Boys and Girls Club or just sitting down with these children to color and have a visit. We look forward to summer programs and Vacation Bible Schools, where McGruff, the Crime Dog, and Daren, the DARE Lion, are sure to make a visit and deliver an important message to the children. We are involved with the senior adult organization, TRIAD, and enjoy meeting monthly with this group. We are also excited about a program called "Coffee with a Cop" and look forward to implementing it very soon. We have pleasantly discovered that we are the recipient of the bigger blessing as we participate in these programs.
We invite you to browse our website and get to know your Police Department -- discovering our commitment to providing exceptional and professional police services to those we serve. I hope you take advantage of the many opportunities of outreach we offer. We welcome your feedback and input for new ideas to further broaden ways we can be involved and help to improve our surroundings.
Thank you for allowing us to serve you,
James E. "Jimmy" McCloud
Chief of Police
Deputy Chief of Police
About Chief Jimmy McCloud
- Chief McCloud began his law enforcement career on September 9, 1993 with the City of Batesville.
- He graduated from the MS Law Enforcement Officers Training Academy in December, 1993.
- Promoted to Sergeant in July, 1996.
- Promoted to Lieutenant in August, 1998.
- Promoted to Captain in August, 2004.
- Appointed as Chief of Police in February, 2017.
- Graduated from the FBI National Academy in Quantico, VA in December, 2003.
- Elected to the FBI National Academy State Chapter Board in 2010, serving as Chapter
- Served as President of the FBI National Academy State Chapter Board from 2013 to 2015. He currently serves on the Chapter's Executive Board as immediate Past President.
- Member of Batesville Civitan Club and served as the Chapter President in 2010, and currently serves on the Batesville Civitan Board of Directors.
- Received the Civitan International Distinguished President's Award for 2010-2011.
- He and his wife, Bessie, have been married for 23 years. They are both active members of Sardis Lake Baptist Church where Jimmy was ordained as a Deacon in 2008.